

I took my boys to a neighborhood pumpkin party in a nearby town called Washougal. It was so well planned and they really made it fun for the kids with little game stations, trick or treating, free pumpkins, cotton candy & popcorn and several space walks (or bouncy houses). But the highlight of the event was the costume contest. Piece of background info: my Mom & Gma M. always made the most original costumes for Mike & I when we were growing up. We'd enter costume contests as a can of spaghettios, a tube of toothpaste and Mr. Clean (to name a few) and blow away the competition. So naturally, I decided to carry on the tradition and really go all out for my kids too. Some of you may remember seeing pics of Benz's costumes over the years, with the cowboy riding a horse and the Delta airline pilot last year being favorites. So I wanted to take it to the next level and see if others agreed that we come up with some pretty awesome ideas for dressing up, and entered them into the costume contest.
I've been gathering things for Benz for this year's costume for over 6 months and it finally all came together beautifully.

He is a mail man, think Mr. McFeely. Bought him a striped dress shirt, navy blue pants and a blue canvas messenger bag. I purchased two official USPS patches on Ebay and sewed one on to the shirt and the other onto the bag. I then sewed ribbons up the side of each pant leg and ordered a nametag that reads: "Benz Brawley: US Postal Worker." We bought what was a safari hat in March from the Global Wildlife Center in New Orleans and spray painted it white and added a red, white and blue ribbon around the brim and finished it off with a priority mail sticker. We have two "letters to Grandma" sticking out of the mail bag's pocket and Benz will put his candy inside of it. He also decided he wants to use some old Valentine's and put them in envelopes and hand them out when he knocks on everyone's doors, in exchange for candy! I can't wait to take a picture of him in front of our mailman's truck as well as a mailbox!
Boston was originally going to be Tigger from Winnie the Pooh but at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to think outside the box. Boston is an ER doctor this year; we bought a pair of mini blue scrubs in the hospital after he w

as born and put them on under a white shirt. I couldn't figure out where to find the green shoe covers and surgeon's cap until it dawned on me...Build a Bear workshop! So I cut the back of the cap and pinned it and the shoe covers fit perfectly. And we added a few things from the Fisher Price medical kit, like an otoscope in his pocket, a stethoscope around his neck and a black beeper clipped onto his waist!
They did the first age group of 0-2 and the mayor was the one making the choice. She walked around and then named the 3rd place, and 2nd place winners and then it was "first place goes to the adorable little doctor!" We were thrilled and Benz was so excited for his baby brother. Boston got a goody bag full of great stuff.

Then it was time for ages 3-5. Benz enjoyed modeling his costume for everyone and then the mayor decided again and before we knew it..."and first prize goes to the postman!" Benz ran up and grabbed his goody bag and came back smiling from ear to ear. I

was so very proud of both of them and it made Boston's first Halloween ever more special!
No comments:
Post a Comment