And So Are The Days Of Our Lives...

babies baby growth

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The big day is finally here...what will it have in store for us??


As part of the surgery prep, Mommy needed to fast 8 hours before surgery. I happened to wake up this morning around 4:45am and decided to eat a banana, protein bar and a glass of milk, my last good meal for a few days. Too bad I was not able to fall back asleep, but my nerves are starting to build. I'm not sure what is better: with Benz we found out the night before we'd be going in for a c-section since he was breech. We had a little time to prepare by reading books and talking to a few people who had recently been through it though the fear of the unknown can be killer. But I really had no idea what I was getting myself into and sometimes ignorance is bliss. This time around, I know pretty much exactly what to expect but that might not be the best thing afterall...I have a long road ahead of me. I am fearful of the anesthesia, the pain following surgery and the horrific recovery, especially since I have to now look after a baby and his big brother. But my doctor did ask me what my worst case birth scenario would be and I knew that if I labored for 20+ hours and then had to go in for another c-section that that would be much worse than having it scheduled. So at least I am avoiding that situation today, having my wonderful OB perform the surgery, and I can be much more calm and rested. And for those of you that know me well enough, this really is right down my alley. I am the ULTIMATE planner and to be able to mark the births of both of my children on a calendar in advance plays right into my need to be in control of everything and we all know how much I hate surprises!


I have so many different feelings as I contemplate today, which is probably the last day of my life that I will spend pregnant. For the most part, this has been such a smooth, uncomplicated pregnancy for which I feel so blessed. I am saddened to stop feeling my little one kick and hiccup inside of me and I will miss Benz rubbing my belly, singing songs to baby in utero and wishing baby brudder a good night with kisses. In a way, I will miss all of the pity looks random women have been giving me over the last month or so, as if to say with their eyes "hang in there, I feel for you 'cause I've been in your shoes, but it's going to be OK." But I am ready to move on to the next step of being a mother of two and welcoming this little one into our loving family. I am so excited to see who he will look like, how much he will weigh, how his personality will develop and most of all, the interactions between my two boys. I am a bit nervous to see how Benz will handle sharing my attention, as he's been the center of the universe for the past 4 1/2 years; I am praying for a smooth transition for everyone's sake. And I'm a bit worried that I may not remember the basics of baby care, but I think it will all come back naturally to me. This little guy's arrival has been a long road coming and it's hard to believe that I will be finally holding him in less than seven hours! So I spent the rest of this morning trying to cherish those last sweet kicks from inside my belly.

No comments: