With a few delays we FINALLY made it into New Orleans on 3/4/08 after midnight. It was probably the longest day of my life (so far, that is). We all went to bed early the night before so we'd be well rested. I had a horrible 24 hour stomach flu last week and was fighting a nasty cold now. Well getting extra shuteye was the plan, but we all know things don't always go as planned. Benz woke me up in the middle of the night banging on his door and screaming. He had thrown up all over his bed and all over the carpet. He was crying and screaming; he seemed to be scared since this is the very first time in his four years that he's experienced that:( I finally got him calmed down and took him into my bed to rest. Sure enough, he christened our bed too. He finally collapsed in his bed around mid-morning and slept right up until we left for the airport; lucky for me it was an afternoon flight. I must have done 6 loads of dirty bedding before we left so it would not be sitting here waiting for me when I got back. Benz seemed to have gotten it all out of his system before we flew the friendly skies but refused to eat anything for the next 48 hours. I was feeling terrible by the time we touched down in NOLA, but little did I know what I was in for! After being there for 3 days, I developed the worst headache I've ever had (imagine someone cranking your brain with a vice and it oozing out of your ears). And another terrible side effect was that I could not taste ANYTHING! And anyone that knows an ounce about New Orleans knows that one of the major draws is the food and that I wait for months to fulfill my cravings; I had to take everyone else's word on how good all of the things were that we were eating:( So we went to an urgent clinic hoping for some relief but the doctor just said it was a viral cold. And being pregnant, I was sent home to rest and use steam to clear everything out.
Well by Sunday night I was crying non-stop and begged my mom to take me in to get this fixed. We ended up at an ear nose and throat doctor who diagnosed me with one of the worst sinus infections he had seen in a long time. He thinks the decompression of the airplane made it 200% worse. So I was started on a 7 day round of antibiotics and slept in a recliner my entire stay. Lucky for me, it got a little better with each new day of medicine and I finally was able to reclaim my tastebuds towards the middle of the trip, but this was no picnic. It is the pits to be that ill on vacation (this ranks up there in the top three illnesses of my life, next to mono when I was 16 and my c-section with Benz). But my saving grace was my parents; don't know what I would have done if I'd have come down with this back home. They would take Benz out for a day at the park so I could stay home and get some extra peace and quiet. It was glorious and I am forever grateful to them. My doctor highly recommended that I postpone my trip back home for a few days until we were sure my infection had fully healed. So we ended up staying an entire extra week, 3 weeks total. We were able to share Easter with my family as well as celebrate my grandparents' 64th wedding anniversary. Great memories can still conspire under even the crappiest of conditions!


No comments:
Post a Comment